Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Extremely moist and delicious cake. The secret to the moistness is a potato in the batter.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine or 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1 large idaho potato, cooked and mashed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- raspberries (to garnish)
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 4 hours before serving or early in the day: preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 10 inch tube or Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar with margarine or butter just until blended.
- Increase speed to high, beat 3 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour and next 8 ingredients; beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl.
- Increase speed to high, beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.
- With spatula, loosen cake from pan, remove from pan and cool completely on rack.
- When cake is cool, prepare Cream Cheese Icing, spread on top of cake allowing some to drizzle down the sides of cake.
- Garnish cake with raspberries.
- To prepare the Cream Cheese Icing:In a small bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat softened cream cheese and milk until smooth.
- Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract until well-blended and a good spreading consistency, adding additional milk if necessary.
I added orange zest instead of the extract to the cake and orange zest and juice from an orange instead of milk for the icing. It was very moist and tasty. The cake was not hard to make, but time consuming. It took the entire hour and half to bake. I'll try some chocolate chips in the batter next for even more chocolate flavor.
Wasn't sure I could like the combination of flavors in this one but it was very good. Omitted the respberries because I just can't like them. Thank you! Margie