Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fruits in this cake are steeped in wine then blended until smooth. There are no large pieces of fruit here. Cake is flavored with lime zest and a lime glaze on top.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine or 1 1⁄2 cups cranberry juice cocktail
- 3⁄4 cup pitted prune
- 3⁄4 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) containerdiced candied citron peel (scant 1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) container mixed candied fruit, chopped (scant 1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons hot tap water
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- In 2-quart saucepan over high heat, heat first 4 ingredients to boiling (wine, prunes, raisins, citron).
- Remove saucepan from heat; let stand 30 minutes to soften fruit.
- In blender at low speed, blend fruit mixture, half at a time, until smooth; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease 10-inch Bundt pan or tube pan.
- In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and margarine or butter just until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 10 minutes or until light and fluffy, scraping bowl often with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, eggs, and fruit mixture; beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl. Increase speed to high; beat 1 minute, occasionally scraping bowl. Stir in grated lime peel.
- Spoon batter into pan, spreading evenly. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 10 minutes; remove cake from pan. Cool completely on rack.
- LIME GLAZE: In medium bowl, with spoon, stir in all the ingredients until smooth.
- To serve, prepare Lime Glaze. Spoon glaze over cake.
- In small bowl, stir mixed candied fruit with corn syrup. Garnish top of cake with candied fruit. 24 servings.
- Good Housekeeping.