Recipe by greysangel
These are fantastic..perfect for a cold night when you are in the mood for tex mex comfort and there's no decent take out near you. I got this from Wendy on the Cooking Light board but I believe originally it appeared on Epicurious. It's been lightened...no reason doing the full fat when lightened tastes so good.
- 1 (16 ounce) container light sour cream
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 4 large green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons medium chili powder or 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup packed grated 2% cheddar cheese
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) package light cream cheese, cut lengthwise into 8 strips
- 1 (24 ounce) bottlemild picante sauce or 1 (24 ounce) bottle salsa
- additional chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly spray a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with butter flavored cooking spray. Mix 1 3/4 cups sour cream, chilies, green onions, 1/2 cup cilantro and spices in large bowl. Mix in chicken and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Season filling to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Spoon generous 1/2 cup filling down center of each tortilla. Top filling with cream cheese strip. Roll up each tortilla, enclosing filling. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in prepared dish. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Pour picante sauce over enchiladas. Cover and bake until sauce bubbles and enchiladas are heated through, about 35 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and bake until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Top with remaining sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.