This recipe is from the Association of Welsh Cheesemakers, this recipe, which could be thought of as an onion tarte tatin, features the Gouda-like Teifi cheese combined with slow cooked onions. If you can’t obtain Welsh cheese, use a good quality Gouda. It’s the quality of the milk from this verdant region that makes the cheese so good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons butter, to grease 8-inch pan
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 0.5 (17 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 8 ounces teifi or 8 ounces gouda cheese, sliced
- fresh ground black pepper, to serve
- chopped parsley, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F Use the 2 teaspoons of butter to grease an 8-inch cake pan.
- 2In a large sauté pan, combine the remaining butter with the sugar over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar completely. Add the vinegar and stir into the sugar mixture. Add the onions and garlic to the sugar mixture, allowing them to sit atop the mixture. Increase heat slightly, place a lid on the pan and allow onions to cook until slightly caramelized on the bottom. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- 3Use a spatula to scrape the onion mixture over the base of the buttered cake pan.
- 4Lightly dust a work area and roll out the pastry to make a circle large enough to cover the base of the cake pan.
- 5Top with the pastry over the onion mixture, tucking down the edge all around.
- 6Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and invert into a baking tray.
- 7Preheat broiler. Arrange the slices of cheese over the surface and place beneath the hot broiler until the cheese is golden brown. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and a bit of chopped parsley and serve. Serves 4-6. Serve with an amber toned beer such as the Best Bitter from the Welsh Tomos Watkin Brewery.
- 8The Celtic Cooking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Sticky Onion Tart With Teifi Valley Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 832.2
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 24.3 g
- Cholesterol 100.1 mg
- Sodium 712.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 42.4 g
- Protein 19.5 g