1/1 Photo of Welsh Rabbit ( Rarebit ) and Tomato Sandwiches
Sara Moulton's take on a classic baked cheese dish morphed into grilled sandwiches that are perked up with toasted walnuts and tomato slices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Sprinkle the tomato slices lightly on both sides with salt; arrange them on a wire rack over a tray to drain for 10 minutes and then pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Meanwhile, spread the walnuts in a pie plate or baking pan and toast in the preheated oven for about 8 minutes or until fragrant.
- 4Toss the cheese with the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cayenne, walnuts and salt to taste.
- 5Arrange one fourth of the tomato slices on half of the bread slices.
- 6Mound one fourth of the cheese mixture on top of the tomatoes and top with the remaining bread slices.
- 7In a large skillet heat the oil or butter over moderately high heat until hot.
- 8Add the sandwiches, turn the heat down to moderately low and cook the sandwiches until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes a side.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Welsh Rabbit ( Rarebit ) and Tomato Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.5
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 604.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 17.8 g