Recipe by Sazza
This is my paternal grandmother's recipe for caramel slice. It is quite sweet, so you might want to skip the chocolate icing. I've done this many times and it still tastes great.
- 3 Weet-Bix, crushed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup coconut
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 ounces butter
- 0.5 (395 g) can condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons golden syrup
- chocolate icing
- 1 1⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 tablespoon hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix 4 ounces of melted butter and press into a lamington tray.
- Cook in an oven at 325F for 15 minutes.
- Stir condensed milk, 1 tbsp butter and golden syrup together in a pot until blended.
- Pour onto cooked base and return to the oven for 5 minutes.
- NB: Make sure this is no longer than 5 minutes otherwise the caramel will go bubbly and ruin the slice. If you think it needs longer watch it very carefully.
- Chocolate icing.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Spread icing mixture on the slice while it is still warm.
- When cool put it in the fridge to set.