Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
A refreshing granita from recipe+ HAVE NOT included freezing time the preparation time.
- 1 1⁄2 kg seedless watermelon (rind removed cut into 1cm pieces)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 sprigs mint (to decorate)
- Process 1kg of the watermelon (reserve remaining watermelon pieces) until almost smooth.
- Combine the sugar and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan and over moderate heat cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from the heat and add juice and half the mint and cool.
- Combine pureed watermelon and syrup in a large jug and strain mixture into a 30cm x 30cm (base measurement) slice -an .
- Discard any seeds and mint.
- Freeze granita for 30 minutes and then using a fork scrape granita into flakes, repeat freezing and scraping process every 30 minutes for 3 hours or until set.
- Spoon reserved watermelon pieces into chilled serving glasses and top with granita and remaining mint.
Very much like a snow cone with the flavor inside the ice! I used 6 cups of melon, I don't think my watermelon was as sweet as it needed to be, but it was still good. next time I'll add more sugar depending on the sweetness of the melon. Very refreshing in the summer, and surprisingly it doesn't melt too fast. Thanks I'mPat! Made for Went to the Market 2012.
Just the right flavours to make a perfect granita on a warm summer's night.
So very refreshing and just the thing for the warm weather.
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to fresh.
Thanks Pat, lovely granita.