Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 5 minutes Yield: 4 servings
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice, from about 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup simple syrup, recipe follows
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Amaretto
- 2 cups watermelon balls, from about half a watermelon
- 2 cups cantaloupe balls, from about 1 cantaloupe
- In a blender, combine mint, lemon juice, simple syrup, and amaretto. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon and the cantaloupe. Add the vinaigrette and toss. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.
- Simple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, combine water and sugar over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Take pan off heat and cool the syrup. Any extra cooled syrup can be saved in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I've made it several times and it is a great summer dish. Very refreshing. I add a little more ammeretto, but otherwise the same. I have also halved the recipe for just a small family dinner and still have plenty for left overs.
Simply wonderful. Fresh, sweet tart dressing. Lovely on the melons. I did make melon balls, but, except for company meals, will go with the easier cubed melon pieces in the future. I recommend this HIGHLY. A perfect summer salad. But it was great in the snow in Seattle in April (for gawd's sake!!! :-) )too.