Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Another version of red beans and rice. I think everyone in Louisiana has a different version. I like this one too. Prep time does not include overnight soaking of red beans. I usually serve this with cornbread and green onions on the side.
- 1 lb dried beans (I use small red beans, not kidney beans)
- 1 lb andouille sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons crab boil
- 2 stalks celery, minced
- 3 lbs smoked ham hocks
- Soak beans overnight.
- Brown the sausage, onions, garlic and celery in a large stock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Add enough water to just cover.
- Bring to boil, turn down heat to low and simmer all day, adding more boiling water if necessary.
- During the last 30 minutes, mash some of the beans against the sides of the stock pot until desired thickness is reached.
- Spoon over rice to serve with Tabasco or favorite Louisiana hot sauce.