Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Everyday Food, haven't yet tried it, but I think it would be nice to add some fresh parsley.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In a small saucepan heat oil over med. Add onion and carrots, cook, stirring frequently til onion is lightly browned, about 5 minute Add bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring frquently til pepper is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in beans, lemon zest and 1 c water, and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat simmer, covered until beans have absorbed most of the liquid, about 10 minute Stir in lemon juice and season.
Very good and easy meal to prepare. Followed recipe except when i went to dice the red pepper i found it not to be fresh so i had to sub with sun dried tomatoes which i am sure altered the taste but i know did not break the recipe. Definitly wait to salt the dish as i think it has such good flavor and with the addition of the lemon you wont need the salt. Served this over a toasted piece of garlic bread...delicious.