Recipe by Sharon123
Spinach is so good, and with soft poached eggs, this is divine! From Food & Wine magazine. This recipe originates in England and France.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 lb Baby Spinach
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (may sub scallions)
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp. dried)
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 quart of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the eggs and simmer over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, move the eggs to a bowl of cold water and let sit for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep the pan of hot water on the stove over low heat.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a large bowl. In a medium skillet, combine the olive oil, sherry and balsamic vinegars, shallots and thyme, and boil for 1 minute.
- Crack the eggs all over and gently peel them under warm running water, keeping them whole. Using a slotted spoon, slip the eggs in the hot water for 30 seconds.
- Pour the warm dressing over the spinach, season with salt and pepper and toss. Mound the salad on plates, top each with an egg and serve.