Dietitian's tip: A mixture of smooth and whole-grain mustards forms the base for vinaigrette much lighter than traditional mayonnaise dressings. This salad is most flavorful when served warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 "healthy" (read: really small) servings.
- 1 lb small potato (red or white new, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or 2 teaspoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (Italian)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Put the potatoes in a saucepan, add water to cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain and let stand until just cool enough to handle.
- Cut each potato in half (or quarters, if the potatoes are large) and place in a warmed serving dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mustards, the vinegars and the shallot until well blended.
- While whisking, slowly drizzle in the olive oil to make a thick dressing.
- Stir in the parsley, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes, mix gently and serve immediately.
I cut this down to serve 2, and it worked out really well. I love mustard and vinegar, so I knew it would be delicious! Loved that this was so low in calories and fat. I had to used minced vidalia onion instead of shallots, because I was out, but it still tasted wonderful. Made for Zaar Stars. Thanks for sharing!
This is a great potato salad recipe! I was looking for something without mayo to save on the calories and knowing how much we like mustard and vinegar at our house, I figured this would be a winner. It's delicious! Thank you for sharing it!
We were divided on this. DH really liked it and DD and I thought it was a little too mustardy. On another note, it was very easy to make. I would make this again, but cut down on the mustard. Made for Healthy Choices ABC Tag.