Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Warm, gooey, dense little chocolate cakes...fresh from the oven. A snap to make in advance.
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or semisweet chocolate, chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant espresso powder (or instant coffee powder)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, chilled
- powdered sugar (optional)
- strawberry coulis recipe (optional)
- Generously butter four 3/4-cup custard cups. Arrange on baking sheet.
- Stir chocolate and butter in heavy small saucepan over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in brandy. Cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs, yolks, 4 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, 1 teaspoon espresso powder and salt in medium bowl until very thick ribbon falls when beaters are lifted, about 6 minutes.
- Sift flour over batter; fold in flour. Fold in chocolate mixture. Divide batter among dishes, filling completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely; refrigerate.
- Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.).
- Preheat oven to 400°F Bake cakes until tops are puffed and dry and tester inserted into center comes out with moist batter still attached, about 11 - 15 minutes (watch carefully the last few minutes.each oven is different). Cool cakes 5 minutes.
- Beat cream, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon espresso powder in small bowl until firm peaks form. Top cakes with whipped cream and serve warm ~ or ~ sprinkle with powder sugar and strawberry coulis.