Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Cabbage and caraway seeds together are great. This salad is best made with green, red, napa and savoy cabbages, in any combination. Source: Williams Sonoma Seasonal Celebration Cookbook
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 -3 lbs assorted cabbage, cored and cut into shreds 1/4 inch wide
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed (or more if you like)
- 2 tart green apples, such as granny smith,halved,cored and cut into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil.
- Add the shallots and saute', stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cabbages and caraway seeds, cover and partially cook, stirring often, until the cabbages just begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the apples and vinegar and stir together.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the apples are warm, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the parsley and transfer to a warmed serving dish.
- Serve immediately.
Made this tonight with pork chops and sweet potatoes. It was so good...wonderful flavor and very quick and easy to prepare. A definite keeper.