Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This bread is delicious sliced and buttered and eaten with cheese.
- 1 lb flour
- 9 ounces muscovado sugar (or dark soft brown sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces walnuts (cut in half or chopped)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 pint milk
- Set oven to 350*F or Mark4.
- Grease and line a 2 lb loaf tin.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves into a large mixing bowl, then sift in the sugar.
- Stir in the salt and the walnuts, then beat in the eggs.
- Slowly pour in the milk, beating all the time until the mixture is like a paste and is hard to beat.
- Put the mixture into the tin and cook for about 45 to 60 minuttes until the loaf is cooked through and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let theloaf cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a rack to become cold.
Wonderful flavor. The whole house smelled like the spices of autumn when it was baking. This is a very dense/firm bread, unlike a moist quick bread. It's chewy and tastes fabulous - especially with butter for breakfast. MMmmmm.