Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a recipe from Cathy Luchetti’s book, The Hot Flash Cookbook. The recipe intro says, “This delicious deep-green seaweed salad combines white beans, crunchy radishes, and toasted hazelnuts in a mosaic of unusual tastes. An added plus: It is rich in iron and calcium.”
- 4 ounces wakame seaweed or 1⁄2 cup wakame seaweed
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons plain rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin (sweet sake) or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts, toasted, peeled, and crushed (refer to directions below)
- Soak the wakame in the water for about 15 minutes. Drain, slice off the tough ribs and discard; cut the tender parts into ½-inch squares. Toss with the beans and radishes in a large bowl and set aside.
- In small bowl, which together the vinegar, mirin or sherry, mustard, oil, and black pepper. Toss with the beans, radishes, and wakame.
- Sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts.
- TOASTING AND PEELING HAZELNUTS:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, or until toasted. Wrap the nuts in a towel and let steam for 1 minute. Rub the nuts with the towel to remove the skins, then cool.