Recipe by GoKittenGo
This is from an old edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. Preparation and cooking times are guesses (my mom made these, not me!), and do not include time to cook the potatoes. These would be great for a retro-themed gathering.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked, drained, and mashed
- 3⁄4 cup hot milk (approximately)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Whip potatoes with enough hot milk to make light and fluffy, approximately 3/4 cup.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pile into greased 8-inch round baking dish, mounding into a volcano shape.
- Make a crater in the center. (My mom would press a one-cup measuring cup about halfway into the potatoes, maybe a little more.).
- Whip the cream, and fold in the cheese.
- Pour cream and cheese mixture into the crater.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.