Recipe by Chef Kate
This heavenly sauce is served over vanilla ice cream at Visko's Restaurant, just south of New Orleans in Gretna. It's dangerously addictive. The recipe is supposed to enough for eight servings---I've seen 4 people make it disappear with no trouble at all. Prep time does not include cooling time.
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dark Karo syrup (corn)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Add the Karo syrup and the water and cook the mixture over medium heat until it reaches the boiling point.
- Continue boiling for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
- Stir in the rum, maple extract and pecans.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve slightly warm over good quality vanilla ice cream.
- Should there be any left over, store it covered in the fridge.