Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Delicious and guilt free what more could you want! Serve this sprinkled with icing sugar with fat free ice cream and/or a spoon of berry puree on the side.
- 100 g prunes
- 3⁄4 cup apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup self raising flour (or 1 cup flour and 1 tsp baking powder)
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Bring to the boil prunes,apple juice conc and baking soda in a pot, turn off and leave to cool with a lid on.
- When cool puree in a food processor.
- Sift flour and cocoa and stir into the prune puree.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and slowly beat in sugar until disolved.
- Carefully fold meringue mixture into prune mixture and spoon into a medium round cake tin which has been greased and lined.
- Bake in a slow oven (160 C) for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
I found the mxture incredibly stiff i had to add a lot more apple juice and milk to get anything resembling a cake batter. It took about 2 hours to cook, not the 35 minutes stated. It was very dense and not at all spongey, and not at all sweet. Considring it was fat free it was edible, but i ad to fill it with jam and cream to make it palatable. Only recommended for serious dieters.