Recipe by - Carla -
Another favorite recipe from "Fabulous Fat Free Cooking" by Lynn Fischer. I sometimes like to make smaller 1/4 cup cakes to use as a side dish with a salad.
Top Review by free-free
These were very nice. I used brown rice and added the optional cumin as well as some cayenne, sea salt and fresh ground pepper...just to up the spice factor a bit!! I took - Carla -'s suggestion and decided to make smaller cup cakes by making them in a muffin tin. They turn out really cute...a different presentation on the old rice and bean theme...this made about 8 muffin cakes for me... OH!!! - Do note to let them sit in the tin for a bit after they come out of the oven to make sure the shape holds before you dig in; I ruined the shape of 2 not waiting (but not the taste!!) Next time I make them I might add a bit of low-fat cheese just to experiment a bit, but in no way is it necessary. Thanks - Carla -!! A great healthy recipe.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup white rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb (from 40 calorie per slice bread)
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium non-stick saucepan, combine the broth and rice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce to low; cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the broth has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in black beans, bread crumbs, celery, red peppers, egg substitute and salt& freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Coat a 1/2 cup measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pack rice mixture firmly into measuring cup then turn it out onto the baking sheet (you may have to tap the measuring cup lightly to release).
- Press to flatten into a 3/4 inch thick cake.
- Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Serve and enjoy!