1/4 Photos of Vietnamese Sandwiches (Bánh Mi)
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
These are excellent and rival anything you would get at a Vietnamese sandwich shop. If you use sourdough for the baguette, it gives it a nice tang. Feel free to use meat leftover from another meal, especially one that contained Asian flavors. Thanks to Mersaydees for putting this recipe in her best of 2008 cookbook!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or medallions of pork or other meat, marinated in satay, below, or other Asian marinade)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 daikon radish, 4 inch piece, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2.46 ml salt
- 19.71 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml white vinegar
- 29.58 ml water
For sandwich assembly
- 1 small baguette, cut into 3 sections, sliced lengthwise, with centers hollowed out
- mayonnaise or light mayonnaise
- soy sauce
- fresh cilantro
- 1 cucumber (shredded or thinly sliced lengthwise)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, cut into matchsticks
- 1If using satay marinade, combine ingredients, and marinate meat at least 2 hours in the refrigerator.
- 2Sprinkle carrot and daikon with salt and 1 teaspoon of the sugar and toss with fingers.
- 3Let sit about 3 minutes, until softened (they should be bendable but still crunchy). Rinse and drain.
- 4Mix vinegar, water, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Add carrot and daikon, and let marinate at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- 5Grill meat until done and slice.
- 6Lightly toast bread. Spread lightly with mayonnaise and sprinkle on soy sauce. Fill with cilantro, carrot, daikon, cucumber, meat and jalapeno. Close and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Sandwiches (Bánh Mi)
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 2214.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 42.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sweet chili sauce