Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I would love to be in Austria right now, at a little outdoor cafe, sipping this warm and soothing drink. I usually sub whipped coconut cream instead of the dairy version. From Bon Apetit, 1991 and posted on Epicurious.
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream or 3⁄4 cup coconut cream
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 12 cups freshly brewed coffee (I use decaf)
- whipped cream
- ground cinnamon
- sugar (optional) or artificial sweetener, of choice
- Bring 3/4 cup cream to simmer in large saucepan. Reduce heat to low.
- Add chocolate and stir until melted and smooth.
- Gradually whisk in coffee.
- Ladle coffee mixture into cups. Sweeten to your taste, or leave unsweetened(the chocolate sweetens it slightly).
- Top with dollops of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle cream with cinnamon.
- Serve and enjoy!
It's perfectly wonderful and we are delighted that I chose this recipe, a delicious treat this was on a cool night. I cheated a little and used canned whipped cream to top the coffee. We like to Thank you! PRMR 2013....Grpa
I love coffee and this fine one is no exception. Love the flavor of the coffee, chocolate, cinnamon and cream, combined. I felt really decadent and added whipped cream to the top drizzled with a little more cinnamon. I was in heaven, for a short while. Thanks so much for sharing Sharon. Made for Best of 2013 Tag game.
Very chocolatey! I tasted more chocolate than coffee, and will cut back on the chocolate next time. I need to buy decaf so I can enjoy this at night! I made this with all coconut cream and sweetened the coffee mixture with one teaspoon sugar/two cups of coffee. Tagged for PRMR 2013.