This is a very light and yummy salad. I usually eat this salad daily as it's filling and low calorie .. ENJOY:)
- Soak the chickpeas (if they are not canned) in water for 12 hours. If you use canned garbanzo beans then skip this step and step 2 as here in Egypt we buy raw chickpeas.
- Boil the chickpeas in hot water till totally cooked; drain and set aside till it cools down.
- In a big bowl, mix the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, salt and lemon; mix very well.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic; mix thoroughly and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas; mix well and enjoy :).
- Bon Appetit.
I really enjoyed this for lunch y'day. I couldnt really taste the cumin in it and may increase that next time. Thanks for a super easy recipe!
Delicious salad, with quite a sharp dressing. I served it for lunch, on a bed of shredded lettuce, and it was lovely. There was a lot of dressing left in the serving bowl, so I'm going to re-use it tomorrow with a fresh batch of chickpeas (and some more onion and garlic). I can certainly see how you might end up eating this daily! :-) Reviewed for Pick A Chef, Fall 2007.
Living in Egypt, I am always looking for different salad ideas as we have salad with every meal. This salad was easy to prepare and we liked it very much as the chickpeas were kept whole. Many salads suggest they are pureed. I reduced the garlic to two cloves, and for an extra Egyptian touch, added some chopped green coriander, known to many as Cilantro. I will pass this easy recipe to my veggie Mum in Scotland! Thanks Nelly! This easy salad is a winner!!