These beans cook down and creat a thick, rich sauce. Good to serve over rice or arepas. From Cooking Light.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans50% reduced sodium black beans, undrained
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper to pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sugar, garlic, black pepper, and cumin; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in 1 cup water and beans; bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, and stir in vinegar.