This is my favorite frosting because it meets allergy needs and it is super adaptable, quick and easy and OH-SO-FLUFFY and GOOD!
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened (I like Earth Balance)
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch processed if you have it)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk or 1⁄4 cup rice milk or 1⁄4 cup coconut milk or 1⁄4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or extract of your choice, match to the flavor you want) (optional)
- Using a stand mixer with paddle or whisk attachment, cream the margarine and shortening together.
- Add cocoa, powdered sugar and the liquids and mix slowly until incorporated; going too fast on this step is messy -- powdered sugar clouds and splatters -- go slow until you get those mixed in!
- Beat on high until fluffy. It usually takes 5-8 minutes of beating in the mixer for this to get super fluffy --- you will see the texture change and the color gets significantly lighter as well. If it doesn't lighten, it isn't ready.
- Variations: To vary the flavor, try different extracts: almond, peppermint, orange, rum, raspberry, etc. Try using orange juice or coffee instead of the milk. This chocolate base is really a great starting point to get a ton of gourmet flavor if you're up for it! ENJOY!
Wow, great frosting and so easy. The cupcakes look perfect and taste even better. Thank you!
Thank you sooo much for posting! My son has multiple food allergies and this tops his cake every year and it makes it so yummy!!
Just the sort of birthday cake icing I was looking for! If you have a stand mixer, this is the recipe for you. The ingredient amounts were perfect, I maybe used 1/2 tbsp less milk than called for. I used a high quality organic cocoa powder and subbed coconut oil for the shortening. In hind sight, I should have melted to coconut "butter'/oil first to remove those little bits that never quite break down otherwise. But that's OK, the icing is still very smooth. Thanks for posting!