1/2 Photos of Versatile Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Dairy Free, Egg Free)
This is my favorite frosting because it meets allergy needs and it is super adaptable, quick and easy and OH-SO-FLUFFY and GOOD!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened (I like Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (dutch processed if you have it)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup soymilk or 1/4 cup rice milk or 1/4 cup coconut milk or 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or extract of your choice, match to the flavor you want) (optional)
- 1Using a stand mixer with paddle or whisk attachment, cream the margarine and shortening together.
- 2Add cocoa, powdered sugar and the liquids and mix slowly until incorporated; going too fast on this step is messy -- powdered sugar clouds and splatters -- go slow until you get those mixed in!
- 3Beat on high until fluffy. It usually takes 5-8 minutes of beating in the mixer for this to get super fluffy --- you will see the texture change and the color gets significantly lighter as well. If it doesn't lighten, it isn't ready.
- 4Variations: To vary the flavor, try different extracts: almond, peppermint, orange, rum, raspberry, etc. Try using orange juice or coffee instead of the milk. This chocolate base is really a great starting point to get a ton of gourmet flavor if you're up for it! ENJOY!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Versatile Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Dairy Free, Egg Free)
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.0
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 138.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 44.4 g
- Protein 1.4 g