Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious Italian appetizer that you will surely fall in love with.
- 12 slices firm white bread
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 ounces fresh mushrooms, finely chopped (about 9 medium)
- 6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- green olives, sliced
- black olives, sliced
- red bell pepper, cut in strips
- green bell pepper, cut in strips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut circles out of bread slices w/2inch round cutter.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in small saucepan.
- Brush both sides of bread circles lightly w/butter.
- Bake bread circles on ungreased baking sheet 5 to 6 minutes per side until golden.
- Remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
- Increase oven temp to 425°F.
- Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in small saucepan.
- Stir in flour; cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
- Whisk in milk; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce thickens and bubbles (sauce will be very thick). Take off heat, and add mushrooms to sauce, 3 tbsp cheese, salt and black pepper, and stir until well blended.
- Spread heaping tbs mushrooms mixture on top of each toast round; place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle remaining 3 tbsp cheese over canapes, dividing evenly.
- Garnish w/black and green olive slices, and bell peppers.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until tops are light brown.
- Serve warm.
We love the flavor - tasty, easy to make and not too expensive (even if they taste like you spent hours in the kitchen) I used a European loaf of white bread, cut off the crust and then cut the slice into different shapes, four per slice. Garnished with chopped black olives and a piece of pimiento. I doubled the recipe, froze some on a cookie sheet , covered, when frozen I plastic wrapped them and put them in to a carboard box- doubled recipe made 48. Excellent appetizer thanks Fandoos
My company enjoyed them. It's nice to serve something different for a change. These little appetizers looked like there was a lot of time spent making them. I made everything up ahead of time and then just popped them into the oven. On some of them I used shredded mozzarella cheese and that looked nice bubbling over the sliced peppers and olives.
OMG!! I can't believe how incredible these appetizers are. I made them for a game-night party.They were so delicious and beautiful, I got stingy and wanted to hoard them all for myself. I got over it and let my guests at 'em. The mushroom topping is mouthwatering. Baked on toasted bread rounds--the best. Thanks Fandoos :)