Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious vegan version of the creamy carrot soups here. I like to grate the carrots to cook faster, but chop them as you like and have the time for. The key to this pureed soup is the zucchini; it soaks up the flavors of the soup, but doesn't add much taste, also a great way to hide greens from kids. It makes the soup feel softer, fuller somehow, as if cream was added. You don't have to puree it, but I feel that doing so lends a more sophisticated look to it--perfect for a starter if you are having guests. If this is the case, garnishing with chives, cilantro or thin lemon slices would be delicious and look beautiful.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fat garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 large carrots, grated
- 1⁄2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 liter vegetable stock or 1 liter chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Coat bottom of pot with olive oil and sauté onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf till fragrant.
- Add carrots and stir to coat.
- Add stock, zucchini, curry and salt and pepper.
- Cook about 15 minutes, till veggies are soft.
- Puree in batches, or use a hand held stick blender. You want this pretty fine. It will be thick as well.
- Return to the pot, check the seasonings and dive in!
A tasty soup, and a speedy meal to whip up! The consistency as you say was lovely, very velvety and smooth, but i found the flavours really quite weak. I think perhaps hot curry powder may have been better, as the soup was initially a little bland. I decided after tasting it to throw in a good handful of coriander and chickpeas to give the dish some taste and substance. Thanks for the recipe!