1/1 Photo of Velma's Chili
2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe comes from Jan Karon's Mitford Cookbook & Kitchen Reader. This chili is thick and hearty with the surprise addition of cloves and celery. Dish it up the way you would normally serve chili or it is also good served over rice. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs chopped ground round
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 -14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add the ground round and saute until browned.
- 3Add the garlic, onions, peppers, and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- 4Add the beans, tomatoes (and their juices), tomato sauce, bay leaf, chili powder, sugar, cloves, salt, and pepper; stir well.
- 5Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Add the red wine and cook another 30 minutes.
- 7Adjust the seasonings, if needed, before serving.
- 8Serve bowls of chili topped with grated cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and chopped green onions.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Velma's Chili
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.3
- Calories from Fat 329
- Total Fat 36.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.3 mg
- Sodium 1386.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 36.1 g