Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I sometimes get a craving for good old tacos but I don't trust commercial ground beef to be safe and healthy. This is a much healthier option that still tastes great. Add some refried beans to the plate if you like.
- 1 lb veggie crumbles, hamburger style
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (or use your home made)
- 1 cup water
- 1 large tomatoes, diced (can use more if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 head green leaf lettuce, shredded (can also use red leaf or romaine lettuce)
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- salsa, to taste
- 10 taco shells (or 8 inch whole wheat tortillas if you wish to wrap them)
- Warm veggie crumbles crumbles in sauté pan with the oil.
- Add water and taco seasoning to crumbles and bring to a boil.
- Simmer and stir until desired consistency is reached.
- Dice tomatoes, green onions,shred cheese, and shred lettuce, all to desired amounts as you know how your family eats.
- Spoon some crumbles into shell or tortilla, and top tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.
- Wrap it up if using the tortillas.
This is right up my alley, and what an alley it is. Who could not love tacos, especially ones that are healthy and made without meat? I did use your recommendation of refried beans (black) and this tasted like we had just served a dish from the local "nacho" joint! Used a vegan sour-cream topping, and some sliced (thinly) green onion. Terrific, easy, recipe - that helped us get through a difficult week. Thanks for posting!
These are easy to make and do taste great!