Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Snagged this from Wegmans. My goodness, that grocery store may be the only reason I'm still in western new york. (
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups mirepoix (chopped onion, celery, and carrot)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1.5 tbs)
- 10 ounces portabella mushrooms (sliced baby bellas!)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with basil
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme, minced
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach
- salt and pepper
- Place squash skin side up (one half at a time), on microwave-safe dish; cover with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH 10-12 min, until tender. Let stand 10-15 min, until cool enough to handle. Carefully remove wrap to avoid steam.
- Run tines of fork lengthwise over squash to loosen spaghetti-like strands; scoop out strands; set aside.
- While squash microwaves, heat large stockpot on MEDIUM-HIGH; add oil and mirepoix. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 min, until softened. Add garlic and mushrooms; cook, stirring, about 2 min, until vegetables start to brown. Stir in tomatoes; simmer 8-10 minute.
- Add vegetable stock; simmer 20 minutes. Stir in squash and thyme; season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer 5 minute Add spinach; stir 1-2 min until wilted.
I used beef broth instead of vegetable because that is what I had and it turned out great! Will make again.
I only had 1/2 the amt of canned tomatoes this recipe calls for, and I added in some lentils for protein. It came out absolutely yummy!!