Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Main dish or side.
Top Review by allisoncoyle
I made this dish tonight, more so out of desperation than anything. Haha. I'm a vegetarian, but I was planning on just making spaghetti or something simple for myself and making a tuna casserole for my brother, mother, and grandma. Turns out I don't have any cream of mushroom or cream of chicken on hand, so I had to change my game plan. I've had some egg noodles in the pantry for a while that I've been looking to use up, so when I found this recipe, I was very excited. Not only would I use up these noodles, I could make a one-dish meal for the whole family! With that said, I was very skeptical, as I've had some bad luck with several vegetarian casseroles lacking in flavor. This was fantastic! I didn't have peppers or squash on hand, but the onion, celery, and broccoli (I just used a bag of frozen microwaveable florets) were more than sufficient. Everyone, including my avid meat-eating brother, loved this dish. I so rarely write reviews for recipes, but is definitely a keeper! :)
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped broccoli floret
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped yellow squash
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the noodles until just tender by following the package directions; drain and transfer noodles to a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onion and next 4 ingredients; stir/saute for about 8 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- Reduce heat to low; add in the milk, cheese, salt, and pepper; stir until the cheese melts.
- Pour mixture over the noodles; toss until well blended.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 quart casserole that has been lightly coated with cooking spray; cover and bake in a 350° oven for 15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and melted butter, toss to combine.
- Distribute evenly over the top of the casserole; bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the top of casserole is slightly crusty.