Recipe by Bruce Gurnick
Absolutely fantastic vegetarian lasagna that even carnivores will devour.
Top Review by firefly68
This sounds delicious, I've added it to my cookbook. I wanted to reassure people who may be skeptical about using uncooked lasagna that it DOES work! I do this all the time, using normal lasagna, not the expensive no-boil stuff.
- 16 ounces frozen Italian vegetables (approx. wt)
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) jar alfredo sauce (or equivalent from refrigerator section or homemade)
- 16 ounces chunky tomato sauce (any flavor)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano or 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 eggs
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese (also can use half and half mix of ricotta and tofu) or 12 ounces crumbled drained medium firm tofu (also can use half and half mix of ricotta and tofu)
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated provolone cheese or 1 cup mixed Italian cheese blend
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain the frozen Italian vegetables slightly shorter than package directions.
- Brown the onion and garlic in a skillet Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add chunky tomato sauce and tomato paste, ground pepper, and oregano.
- In a large bowl mix ricotta and/or tofu, cottage cheese, eggs, parsley, mozzarella and provolone cheeses.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Spread 1/4 of the tomato sauce mixture in the bottom of the baking pan. Top with a layer of UNCOOKED noodles, leaving about 1/4 inch space between noodles. Layer 1/4 tomato sauce, 1/3 vegetables, 1/3 Alfredo sauce and then 1/3 tofu/ricotta mixture, in that order. Repeat until you have made three layers of each. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 minutes. Remove foil, layer with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and continue baking about 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely brown on top. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese to taste.