Recipe by blonder
Im a vegetarian this is a GREAT comfort food!
Top Review by Wistaria
This is wonderful! Really is comfort food, and is a great pot pie. I didn't miss the chicken at all. I subbed chickpeas for the tofu, and made it into a pie with a home made top and bottom crust. Other than that, I followed it as written. The flavor is superb, and the texture is perfect. Another bonus is that you don't have to deal with cooking the chicken, which is a major pain in the other recipe I was using. I see no reason to ever go back to it! Five stars!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄3 cup melted margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups onion broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped vegetarian chicken strips or 2 cups firm tofu, cut in tiny cubes
- 2 pie crusts (either store bought or your own recipe)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
- Add flour to sauteed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
- Combine broth and half and half.
- Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper and tyme; add tofu and stir well.
- Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shells.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.