My DH's favourite soup, which I make often, especially during the colder months. I especially like this vegetarian version.
- 40 dried lily buds
- 1⁄4 cup small tree ear dried mushroom
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup drained canned bamboo shoot, rinsed and julienned
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons black soy sauce or 3 tablespoons light soy sauce, plus a pinch of sugar
- 4 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1/3 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- In separate bowls, cover the lily buds and tree ear mushrooms with hot water; let soak until softened, about 30 minutes; drain and thoroughly rinse the lily buds and mushrooms; trim the tough ends from the buds and halve them crosswise.
- In a large pot, combine the broth, lily buds, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, ginger and salt; cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes; stir in the vinegar and 1 tsp red pepper and boil over medium-high heat for 2 minutes; beat the cornstarch mixture into the soup in a steady stream; in a bowl, combine the egg and egg white and beat into the soup; stir in the soy sauce, tofu and sesame oil and cook over medium heat until warmed through; season with red pepper and garnish with spring onion.
This was delicious! I couldn't find lily buds so I left it out and I used shitake mushrooms. My mum loved it - her only complaint was that the tofu was bland. Next time I'll saute it in some ginger and chili oil and then add it to the soup at the end.
Better than a restaurant! I used 1 T dark soy and 2 T light like a reviewer suggested and the consistency and color are beautiful. The only change I'll make next time is to use Chinkiang (black) instead of red wine vinegar. FYI at my Asian market the wood ear package says "dried auricularia" - they do look a little like ears, so that may help you find them.
Since I don't eat mushrooms I substituted matchstick carrots and red bell pepper (letting them boil for a while with the broth). I just added one egg and more tofu. Delicious soup, easy to make. BF liked this too. Vegetarian, of course, is best. Thanks!