Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with onion and garlic (you can use plain diced tomatoes and add 1 cup chopped onion and 2-3 cloves minced garlic)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed,and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, saute celery and green peppers (onion and garlic if using plain diced tomatoes) in oil until veggies are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add in undrained tomatoes, beans, beer, chili powder, bay leaf, basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
Super recipe! We were on a very strict veggie diet and this came in handy. Everyone couldn't stop commenting on what a great taste this chili has. I did not add the can of beer nor did I remove the basil leaves after I simmered. I did have a little trouble finding the can of diced tomatoes with onion and garlic, but I did find it! Plus I think the entire process took an hour. Thanks so much
WOWIE!! We loved this incredible vegetable chili. I did as you suggested and used plain canned diced tomatoes and added 1 cup chopped onion and 3 minced cloves. I like using fresh ingredients whenever possible. The seasonings were just right for this family and got raves from everyone. This will be added to our "make often" file. Thanks for posting this.
My mom and dad have been trying to adhere to a vegetarian diet for health reasons. I made this for us all to try. A huge success with all of us. Very spicy, hearty flavor and a great chunky texture. My husband and I salted ours but my parent's are not supposed to have much salt and did not complain of a bland flavor. That is miraculous. Thanks Nurse Di.