Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
hearty enough for a meatless meal
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients in casserole dish.
- Mix well.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
We loved this dish! I added a half can of drained, rinsed black beans to increase the protein and left out the celery and butter, substituting a tiny bit of oil when I precooked the onion (we always pre-cook our onions to make them sweeter).
I liked the flavors in this casserole. I used Rotel tomatoes with chilies, and some mozzarella and cheddar cheese. I think next time I will add some spices and chop the nuts fine. Thanks!