Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've tried other cabbage soups out there, but they are so bland! This is how I combined a few recipes and adjusted to make it more pleasant. The vegetables can be varied easily, and sometimes I'll use some frozen mixtures instead of the fresh, and it comes out just as good. This recipe makes a big pot, and it freezes great, so don't be afraid to freeze in individual portions for a later meal. Also try this chilled in the summertime!
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 large carrots
- 24 ounces vegetable juice (I like Spicy Hot V8)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 small zucchini
- 2 small yellow squash
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 cup green beans
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium head of cabbage
- salt and pepper (as desired)
- Spray a large stock pot with cooking spray and saute onion, garlic, and carrots over medium heat, about 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add a couple tablespoons of the broth if needed to prevent browning.
- Add the V8, broth, water, soup mix, and seasonings. Turn heat to high.
- Chop remaining vegetables into slices, or bite-size pieces, and add to pot. Stir.
- Once soup reaches a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for an hour.
- Wonderful served with crusty bread.
I made this by splitting the recipe in half. It's super easy, and very good. To pump it up as a main course soup, I added a can of beans. I'm making this again today--it's chilly out there!
I ade this soup this morning and had it for lunch. I enjoyed the spicy soup. My daughter came by and she had some and said it was good you could taste all the vegetables in the soup. I would make this again.