Recipe by hlkljgk
Tasty baked beans-no pork/meat.
Top Review by Okra
I'm not going to rate this (so it won't affect your average rating) because I tried this against my better judgment. As so often happens with baked bean recipes, I found this to be way, way too sweet for my taste, even though I didn't add the syrup. Even adding more onion, some turkey bacon, and some cider vinegar didn't remove enough of the sweetness so I could enjoy it. This isn't a criticism of the recipe itself, it's more a warning for those who are like me and don't care for so much sweet.
- 1 package dry northern white beans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups water (or so)
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight in large bowl of cold water.
- Discard water in the morning and drain.
- Put beans in crockpot and cover with water (should be about 1/2" above the beans.) Add remaining ingredients.
- (No need to saute' onion and garlic first.) Stir well.
- Put crockpot on high for approx.
- 2 hours and turn to medium heat overnight.