Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Tasty baked beans-no pork/meat.
Make and share this Vegetarian Baked Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 package dry northern white beans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 -2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups water (or so)
- Soak beans overnight in large bowl of cold water.
- Discard water in the morning and drain.
- Put beans in crockpot and cover with water (should be about 1/2" above the beans.) Add remaining ingredients.
- (No need to saute' onion and garlic first.) Stir well.
- Put crockpot on high for approx.
- 2 hours and turn to medium heat overnight.
I'm not going to rate this (so it won't affect your average rating) because I tried this against my better judgment. As so often happens with baked bean recipes, I found this to be way, way too sweet for my taste, even though I didn't add the syrup. Even adding more onion, some turkey bacon, and some cider vinegar didn't remove enough of the sweetness so I could enjoy it. This isn't a criticism of the recipe itself, it's more a warning for those who are like me and don't care for so much sweet.
So delicious! Thank you for such a great recipe!
These Baked Beans are the best. Our family eats meat very rarely and now that summer is here we were looking for a "pork n bean" recipe without bacon. This is it. We made this for my in laws who own a cattle, and pig farm and eat meat with every meal, they loved it and asked for the recipe. We have used canned beans (great northern and pinto) to make this when we were in a hurry and it turned out fabulous.