Recipe by PaulaG
I enjoy fish and we typically have it at least once a week. This is a nice quick evening meal that is Diabetic friendly. The recipe is from Better Homes and Gardens Spcial Interest Publications Low Calorie and Low-Fat Recipes 1994.
- 4 (4 ounce) halibut steaks or 4 (4 ounce) fillets, thawed if frozen
- 1 small summer squash or 1 small zucchini, halved and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crused
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the sauce, combine the squash, mushrooms, onion, garlic, lemon zest, salt and 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 4 minutes or until nearly tender.
- Drain and return the vegetables to the pan.
- In a large skillet, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Carefully add the fish, spooning liquid over fish; reduce heat, cover and simmer until fish begins to flake easily (approximately 4 to 6 minutes per 1/2 inch of thickness).
- Remove fish from the broth using a slotted spoon and place on individual serving plates.
- While the fish cooks, combine the tomatoes, cornstarch, basil and pepper sauce.
- Add this to vegetable mixture and cook stirring gently over medium heat till thickened and bubbly.
- Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes; spoon sauce over fish.
- Garnish with fresh basil or lemon slices and enjoy.