Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Did you know that adding tofu to your diet will protect you against heart disease and some cancers? Tofu is high in protein and calcium, low in fat and sodium, and cholesterol-free. This is a great recipe with toast, beakled beans, and hashbrowns. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan".)
- 1⁄4 medium onion, chopped
- 4 -5 mushrooms, sliced
- olive oil
- 1 package firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- pepper (to taste)
- salsa (to taste)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- In a large saucepan, add the onions and mushrooms to a splash of olive oil and saute on medium-high heat until the onions are translucent.
- Crumble tofu and add to saucepan.
- Add the curry and pepper.
- Saute 10-12 minutes until moisture has evaporated.
- Add salsa and green onions and scramble on high heat for 2-4 minutes.
- Note: you could also add any other veggies you have kicking around.
WOW! I am a believer of tofu now. I was unsure when I bought this at the grocery store, but this recipe caught my eye. I used "low-fat" firm Tofu and added lots of garlic, some cumin, and chili powder to the recipe to give it some kick. I also added 1/4 cup of green pepper. I served it over whole wheat buns and man was this great. Even my husband enjoyed it. He had no idea he was eating tofu. I will have to make this again for sure...maybe for breakfast sometime since this was like a healthy substitute for eggs.