Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is what i call khichadi but most people would know it as pulao. Its my favorite recipe of my mothers and my friends love it as well. Serve this with a mixture of chopped onions in yoghurt seasoned with salt.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 green chilies, halved
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 cup chopped peas and carrots
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- In a deep vessel heat oil on medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and wait for it to splatter.
- Add the onions, green chilli, garlic and cloves and saute till the onions are golden brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and saute for another minute.
- Add the vegetables and saute for another minute.
- Add the washed rice to this mixture and stir for about 4 minutes.
- Now add the water, salt and coriander and stir well.
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer till the rice is cooked.
- Occasionally stir to make sure the base does not get burnt.