Recipe by beth
This is the way I make my Vegetable Beef soup and my family really enjoys it. I think it is simple and tasty. It actually is better if made one day and eaten the next. Enjoy! P.S. we love it topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese!
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stewing beef
- 1 (46 ounce) bottle vegetable juice, such as V8
- 1 cup water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) bag mixed vegetables
- 8 ounces baby butter beans
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 -2 tablespoon oil, plus
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 -2 teaspoon Italian spices
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, sugar or Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 -3 medium potatoes, diced (optional) or 1⁄4 cup elbow macaroni (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven or large pot brown you onions and stew beef in the oil and butter.
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and cook a few minutes. The flour will help thicken the soup.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Stir well, scraping up any yummy brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring all to a boil, then turn down on low and let simmer for hours. Check it often to make sure it is not sticking or burning.
- You will need to taste and season how you like it. Everyone is different. I do add a sprinkling of sugar or splenda to help with the acidity.
- If you decided to add potatoes, add them along with everything else. If macaroni, add in before eating allowing time for them to cook, but not be mushy. Macaroni can be tricky, if cooked too long they turn into mush and you end up with Vegetable Beef Wallpaper Paste!