Recipe by Bec
From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
Top Review by yogiclarebear
Very nice recipe, easy and healthy! I used the whole egg, whole wheat breadcrumbs, and added a layer of kidney beans. I used all shredded farmer cheese. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 5 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 -3 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim farmer cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together ground beef, egg white, bread crumbs, garlic powder and milk.
- Pat into a 9x13 inch baking dish- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes; pour off any accumulated fat.
- Spread spinach over meat.
- Layer zucchini over spinach and onion and green pepper over zucchini.
- Mix together tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Pour over layered casserole.
- Cover with foil and return to oven.
- Bake until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- During last 10 minutes of baking time, remove foil and top with shredded cheeses.