Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A hearty vegetable soup that is easy to make.
Top Review by Dotalee
First time making a vegetarian soup. This is a classy soup. Easy to prepare, and oh so healthy. Great with a piece of whole grain bread. The curry gives it a nice little tangy taste - not overpowering, and the dill is sublime. Will be making this again and agian this winter. Thanks again Uncle Bill!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 16 cups water
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 28 fluid ounces canned tomatoes, mash and include liquid
- 15 fluid ounces canned red kidney beans, including liquid
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed 1/2 inch
- 1 tablespoon dried basil or 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base (optional)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy bottom cooking pot, add olive oil, chopped onions, sliced carrots, chopped celery, garlic powder and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp, stirring frequently.
- Add water, vegetable broth, mashed tomatoes including liquid, kidney beans, barley, cubed potatoes, basil, chicken soup base, curry and pepper; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until barley is barely tender.
- Add sliced cabbage, soy sauce and dill weed; cover and simmer another 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stirring a few times during cooking.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Remove from heat when done and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- When serving, stir in 1 teaspoon of grated parmesan cheese into each bowl.
- Refrigerate any unused portion of soup.