Recipe by Lori Mama
This is adapted from the monthly Sobeys Our Compliments magazine. I did make a couple of changes to suit our palates.
Top Review by mama smurf
Delicious!!! Made have a recipe and used fresh dill and added some green onions. I added a little broth while cooking (it was getting dry) but ohhhhhhhhh so good. Leftovers are wonderful also...in the same day. Thank you. Made for Zaar Alphabet Tag Game 2010.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups pearl barley
- 1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeds removed and cut into medium dice
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring stock to a boil.
- add barley and cook on medium heat 40 minutes.
- Drain and rinse until cool.
- In a large bowl place all the vegetables, mix in the vinaigrette along with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine with the barley.
- Salad can be prepared up to this point and stored, covered in fridge for 2 days.
- Sprinkle with toasted nuts just before serving.