Got this in an email from VEG News! I made it tonight after work, it's perfect for a cold winter day.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup mild green chili, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup tomato, diced
- tortilla chips
- Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the bulgur and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until all are golden.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the garnishes, plus the cooked bulgur and the remaining 3 cups water.
- Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Fill a bowl about 2/3 full with soup. Top with grated vegan cheese, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Line the perimeter of each bowl with several tortilla chips, points facing upward, for a star-shaped effect.