1/2 Photos of Vegan Taco Soup
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Got this in an email from VEG News! I made it tonight after work, it's perfect for a cold winter day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup mild green chili, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1Bring 1 cup of the water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 2Add the bulgur and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- 3Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
- 4Add the garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté, stirring frequently, until all are golden.
- 5Add the remaining ingredients, except the garnishes, plus the cooked bulgur and the remaining 3 cups water.
- 6Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- 7Fill a bowl about 2/3 full with soup. Top with grated vegan cheese, shredded lettuce, and diced tomatoes. Line the perimeter of each bowl with several tortilla chips, points facing upward, for a star-shaped effect.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Taco Soup
Serving Size: 1 (525 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.4
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 330.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 15.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: