Recipe by Jesslyn
Most cornbread mixes have lard or other animal products in them, but I have to have cornbread with beans or gumbo sometimes. (I'm from the south... what can I do?) This recipe is a veganized version of the "Southern-Style Cornbread" from May/June 2007 Vegetarian Times. Now if I can only make it gluten-free.
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup agave syrup
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons energ egg substitute (the equivalent of 1 egg)
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan margarine (I used Organic Smart Balance Buttery Spread.)
- 1 cup frozen corn (or fresh)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Coat a 9x9 inch baking pan(or a 12 muffin pan)with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients, stirring until consistent.
- Spread into pan (or pour into muffin pan).
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until sides begin to brown and toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack before slicing if using a 9x9 pan.
- I did the muffin version and it took 25 minutes to get the way I like them but 30 would have only made them dark brown. (The 9x9 pan version from the original recipe calls for 25-30 minutes also.).