1/1 Photo of Vegan Pesto Risotto With Roasted Zucchini
I received a ton of summer squash from my CSA so after some research, I stumbled across this (post punk kitchen adaptation). YUMMY. I like to add lemon to my pesto..lots of lemony goodness!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the zucchini
- 1 lb zucchini, Cut into half moons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (I like Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning)
- 2In a food processor, combine the garlic, pine nuts, basil, yeast , lemon zest and lemon juice. Pulse until ground to a fine paste, about 1 minute. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3Preheat the oven to 425 F for the zucchini, and have ready a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- 5Warm the vegetable broth in a saucepan. Keep it warm on the lowest setting possible as you prepare the risotto.
- 6Preheat a heavy-bottomed 4 quart pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion in oil and a pinch of salt until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- 7Add the rice and use a wooden spoon to stir and coat with oil. Add the white wine and stir occasionally, until wine is mostly absorbed, 4 minutes or so. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium low.
- 8Add the broth by the cupful, stirring the risotto after each addition until the broth is mostly absorbed (6 to 8 minutes). After 2 cupfuls, add about half of the pesto and stir well, then continue to cook, adding broth by the cupful, stirring, and letting the liquid absorb.
- 9At some point in there, your oven will be preheated. Toss the zucchini with oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Roast for about 6 minutes on each side, or until softened and lightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 10With your last addition of broth, add the remainder of the pesto. Taste for salt and add the other 1/4 teaspoon if needed. Risotto is ready when the rice is chewy but still firm, and the sauce is very creamy. For a firmer risotto, just cook a few minutes extra to absorb more of the liquid.
- 11To serve: scoop risotto into each bowl, and top with zucchini. Drizzle with extra pesto and garnish with a few toasted pine nuts.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Pesto Risotto With Roasted Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 974.8
- Calories from Fat 602
- Total Fat 66.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 13.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: