Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A vegan "meatball" hoagie. From the cookbook "Choices - Quick & Healthy Cooking." You can make a large batch of these meatballs and freeze them loose in freezer bags until needed. Drop frozen into the tomato sauce and bake up to 30 minutes or warm in the microwave on high for approximately 10 minutes. For a brown-bag version, take the meatballs and sauce in a separate container and place in a hoagie roll at lunchtime to enjoy.
- 16 ounces tofu
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup pecans, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups soda crackers, crushed coarsely
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 5 whole wheat hoagie rolls
- 1 1⁄2-2 quarts tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, whole and peeled
- In blender container, blend tofu until smooth. You can add a little water to the tofu if necessary to blend, but not too much. Pour into a mixing bowl.
- Add the onion, pecans, crackers, sage, and garlic powder and mix well. Allow to thicken in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Form mixture into 2-inch balls.
- Fry in lightly oiled pan, turning to brown on all sides OR, lightly oil a baking sheet and bake meatballs at 400°F, turning several times, until all sides are browned. Be careful not to overcook and dry out meatballs in the oven. Start checking after 10 minutes and cook no longer than 30 minutes.
- Put browned meatballs in baking dish, cover with tomato sauce and heat in oven or microwave until sauce bubbles.
- Cut hoagie rolls in half and lightly brush cut sides with olive oil. Toast rolls in 400°F oven until very lightly browned, remove from oven and rub garlic clove on each side. Bake an additional 3-4 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Put 3 meatballs with sauce down the center of each toasted hoagie roll and serve warm.